Thursday, August 6, 2009

Unpacking and Making Room



Everyone brought things with them. Things to unpack. Things to share. Things to discover. Things to bless. Even things to let go of.

As we arrived at Louis Armstrong International Airport, I'm sure that each of us was aware what was in our suitcases. We might not have been quite so clear about other things we were bringing, and how they might be called forth, distributed, and celebrated. That's where the Holy Spirit of God comes in!

Thirteen of us had gone to New Orleans on our mission trip. Christian mission seeks to make God known. Mission engages the planting, nurturing, and growing of communities---communities rich in the life and spirit of Jesus! It has been described as a "world-changing movement," because it is always about transformation. Jesus' Great Commission is the call to his followers to make disciples among all people, everywhere. H. Russel Botman, pastor from South Africa, describes Christian mission as "hope in action."

So how would we "missionaries" be part of "making God known?" What seeds of community would be planted, nurtured, and even start to grow? How would disciples be shaped as a result of our trip? In what ways would hope become real and embodied? Would the world change, and would we? These are the questions whose answers took shape over our six days together.

After arriving, we went to the Hands On New Orleans Mission House to drop our luggage and set up housekeeping. Hands On New Orleans runs a house of hospitality for volunteers from all over who come to NOLA to work on different recovery projects.

Chuck had us leave our baggage behind, and wanted to introduce us to New Orleans. He took us east to St. Bernard Parish and theLower Ninth Ward, two of the hardest hit areas from Hurricane Katrina.

I'd like to ask the participants in our delegation:

--What were your original reasons for participating in this trip? What were you expecting or hoping for?

--How was the experience different than you expected?

--What did you discover? Let go of?

--How did this experience impact your own discipleship?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for starting this blog, I have had many thoughts about the trip and somehow it is hard to explain it unless you have been there. I went on the trip because I have wanted to go on a mission trip for a very long time. The time was never right but I have felt more strongly about this since Katrina. There is just something that struck me about our Country not being able to help our own. I wanted to help. I did not expect the overwhelming feelings as we drove through the ninth ward. I wondered just as Pastor Scott said. Where are the people? What are the stories? I was drawn back and was so glad the we had the opportunity to hear Pastor Dupressis speak of his Story. He had the answers to so many of the questions. He could tell us about the people and He did. When asked what we could do to help, he answered, Pray. We certainly can do that. Prayer, We want to do so much more, but Prayer is a lot. As a Desciple, I must not forget that.
    I have given up on my ideas that the people "should" not choose to live in a flood zone. I have given up on my ideas that they could have gotten out if they had chosen too. I pray that I will be able to share those changes with others.
    The most difficult part for me was going into the French Quarter and the "expensive areas" or tourist areas of New Orleans and know that just a short distance away, people are still suffering, that people don't have houses. The people can't come back. How can I spend money in New Orleans without helping those without?
    I would like to build a house in that area. Yes, I would be glad to hammer the nails, but meanwhile I will pray.
    My thoughts about the trip would not be complete without some words about our team. As Pastor Scott said, we each had a place and I got to know all of our people so much better. We have something that can be shared together. An experience of a life time. I have so much more to share, but I will save it for later.

    ReplyDelete